Following the USA as it makes its way through the World Cup, and some backpacking along the way.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Game



What can I say? It was amazing. USA v. Italy. The ups and downs and everything about it. I have never been to a game like that before. I was at the world cup in 2002 when the USA beat Portugal and Mexico, but for me this was the most impressive game the USA has ever played. To be down a man and play 45 minutes like that was amazing.

And the fans. I was really upset with the way the fans were during the Czech game, but they did show up for this game.

For the whole game fans everywhere, were standing up. Not only in the Sam’s Army section but also throughout the USA Fans. The chants and cheers were great.

Earlier in the day I had bought a shirt that said “Goal” on it. It was red and because I didn’t bring my USA jersey with me I had to buy a red shirt. The exact moment I put it on Gahna scored their first goal against the Czech Republic. It was crazy. And I guess it was a harribinger.

I didn’t think the USA was going to lose today. And if we had been a little more lucky the USA could have actually won the game, but a tie is a tie and keeps the team alive. Needless to say I’ll take it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home