Following the USA as it makes its way through the World Cup, and some backpacking along the way.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Back to Work



I said goodbye to Allison on Tuesday as she flew back and I took the train to Germany. For the next few weeks I will be located in the town of Erfurt in Germany. It is centrally located and I got an apartment for a really inexpensive price during the World Cup.

When I got to the city after finding my apartment building, which took awhile, I got there. I didn’t actually know which number to buzz so I ended up just buzzing one of them and talking to someone in German. They buzzed me in and it was an elderly couple. After a couple of minutes of not understanding each other at all, the old man made the motion of me sleeping and I said “Yah” and he told me to follow him and brought me up the flights of stairs to the building owner’s apartment. He didn’t speak any English either but knew why I was there and showed me my apartment. It was a studio with a kitchen on the fifth floor of the building. Its great! With a huge studio room and a large bathroom and kitchen I was more than happy to have this place! It’s actually nicer than any apartment I had in LA and way nicer as well.

Erfurt is a really nice city. Its quite walkable and with a beautiful old town. The more I explore the more cool things I find. There are cathedrals, nice squares, and a nice walk along the river that flows through the town. I think it will be a nice place to base myself out of.

So the past day I have spent basically getting ready for the World Cup. Even in Erfurt signs for the World Cup is everywhere. Banners and items were for sale on every corner. I can’t wait for the World Cup to begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home