Following the USA as it makes its way through the World Cup, and some backpacking along the way.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sightseeing v. Game-seeing



On the train ride back from Nuremburg to Erfurt, I was talking to this old German guy on the train who told me about his crazy adventures in South America back in the 60’s. We were talking about the games and Germany, and he told me I should see some more of the sights of Germany. I was thinking it might be a good idea. After all I have been all-soccer, all the time the past few weeks and I could use a break and slow down for a few days.

He was like “If you see the Rhine it is forever, if you go to a football game it is only for one day.”

So I thought about it and in my mind I thought it might be time to do some touristin’ once again and take a break from the games and shooting.

But I had scored a ticket to the Ukraine-Switzerland game on Monday in Cologne so I had to go see that game first. I got a room at the hostel in a great location next to the train station and the Dom cathedral. When I got there there was a sign posted for a ticket to the Brazil-Ghana game in Dortumnd the next day, but the ticket cost 300 euros so I decided against it.

Right across the street was a Hilton hotel where the Ukraine national team was staying. I was able to grab a couple of shots of the team as the boarded the bus to go to the stadium.

Then the game. It was great. I had seats the third row near mid-field and sat next to a bunch of Germans. The crowd was definatley mostly Germans. Sometimes they would sing German songs and the whole stadium would come alive. There were more Swiss also than Ukranians and some had some really funny costumes they wore during the game.


You can’t say the Swiss aren’t safe.

It was a preaty tight affair and the game went to penalty kicks. Ukraine missed their first, but the Swiss missed all of the and the Ukranian fans went crazy.

Afterwards they partied outside the stadium and on the way back to Cologne.

When I got back to the hostel, I ended up hanging out in the lounge downstairs. I met some Ukranians staying there, including this one guy who was Ukranian ancestry but lived in Australia. So it was interesting cause he had two teams he was going for in the World Cup. He said he had been planning the trip for six years, since they announced the games were going to be in Germany. It was a cool conversation, but it was about four in the morning so I went to crash.

The next morning I woke up and had to make a decision. To go to Dortmund for the Brazil-Gahna game or head to the Rhine. For one of the first days since the world cup it was a glum day in Germany. Overcast and it started to rain. Definatley not the best day to do some sightseeing.

So as I checked out I saw the sign for the Brazil-Ghana ticket had been added to, and said” Make an Offer” so I offered 100 euros and the guy accepted. It was a face value ticket of 60 euros so not that bad.

After that I made it to the train station to get some coffee and check my email when my friend Joel called. He and his friend and got three tickets for the France-Spain game for 50 euros each. Did I want to go? I thought about it for a second. Sure! So instead of Dortumnd I was heading to Hannover instead.

I had to sell my ticket for the Brazil game, so I walked around the station holding it for awhile until two English guys asked me if I was selling. I ended up selling it for a 150 euros, so after I pay Joel for the France-Spain game tickets I’ll end up going to the game for free!

Well that’s it for now. I guess in the end I made the choice for the day, football over sightseeing. And there aren’t any games on Wednesday or Thursday so I can go see some sights then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home