Following the USA as it makes its way through the World Cup, and some backpacking along the way.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Berlin, Berlin


I handed in my keys to my studio and moved on to Berlin on Saturday morning. It was only about three hours away by train. When I got there the brother of the lady I was renting the apartment picked me up at the new train station in Berlin that just opened a month earlier in anticipation of the World Cup. They were cool and gave me a tour of the city before we headed to the place. From there we took care of business then they dropped me on in Freidrichshain, which is the “East Village” of Berlin. From there I ended up exploring the city, which is going to take a long long time for sure. On Saturday night I headed to the Fan Festival mile, where around 1 million people watched the Germany-Argentina game. The photos on television were crazy and I decided I wanted to be there for Germany’s semi-final match. I watched the end of the France-Brazil game where France pulled the shocking upset win. The French fans in the crowd partied like crazy.

After that I headed out to check some of the Berlin nightlife. Berlin seems like the capital of electronic music these days. Almost everywhere else in the world the music is not doing all that great, but from what it seems things are still rocking in Berlin. I ended up checking out this club called Maria um Uber, which has some big named dj’s playing. But it was actually the no-named dj’s that were even better. It was a big shocked, but it showed me how good the scene is here.

So the past few days I’ve been catching up on my rest and getting ready for the big-semi game Germany v. Italy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home